How you tell your story is up to you. Born in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, herStories was founded by Jennifer Aks-Neuman to help women recognize their resilience, and embody, learn and celebrate all they are through movement storytelling.
Jennifer is a movement coach, a story producer, a choreographer, a photographer, and teaching artist. Through herStories, she supports women in creating art out of life, amplifying voices and telling stories using video diaries.
Women are supported in telling their stories in many ways, allowing them to be open and express themselves through movements that are entirely unique to their personal experiences. herStories includes women of all ages, all shapes and sizes, and colors. In short, it is a celebration of all types of women.
In this episode, Jennifer shares how herStories started, and walks us through her desire to empower women and create community. From writing and moving, to journaling and visual art, all forms of expression are welcome and encouraged to tell authentic stories of self. Through that, we learn our stories have the power to inspire and uplift women everywhere.
Listen to Your Permission Prescription: Episode 32 to learn more about herStories, the process of creating a visual diary, and how different forms of expression allow us to release our authentic selves.
What We Discuss & Highlights From Episode 32:
- The mission of herStories and how artistic storytelling is helping women heal and amplify their voices
- What different forms of expression in storytelling can look like
- Why it’s important to let go of what we believe perfect looks like
- Jennifer’s experience of watching women’s stories come to life through their unique expressions
- How women ‘let go’ and allow themselves to open up to full self expression